Would you like to have a memory book to take home with you from this year's reunion in October?

Sunday, July 21, 2013

RHS Gets Kicked Out of the Fireplace!? As Told by John Wescott

John recently told me about the time RHS got kicked out of the Fireplace after Paramus & RHS were getting into it a bit. I remember showing up at the bus garage the night Andy Rodman spilled paint on a Ridgewood police officer - that night the rumors were flying about a "rumble" with Paramus and we showed up to "help" out! Well that night the cops in Ridgewood also got wind of that and came out from all directions as the bus garage was being painted.

Our Paramus history was such that they quickly became our new rival - of course we did a number on their football field which added to tensions and we took it to them in 1972. What made it difficult for me was that I had a serious girlfriend from Paramus (we started dating in my junior year and dated for about 4 1/2 years - it made the Paramus rivalry thing a bit awkward since I had a bunch of friends from Paramus and I hitched to Paramus quite often (cutting my last class) so that I could hook up with my girlfriend at the high school. I was so good at making myself seem like a Paramus student that the principal there thought I belonged and I would wait in the hall for her to get out! Everytime I would show up at the school Mr Azzolino would say "Hi Rick! Catching up on your studies?" As I sat with one of my books open!

Here's John's story in his own words when I recently asked him about it - I took the liberty of changing a couple of words (sorry Rusty!):

"The one when we got kicked out was when we were at the Fireplace after the win over Paramus. We had gotten clobbered the year before at Paramus giving up 44 points. I think it was 44-2. How we got a safety was probably them running the ball into their own end zone just to bust our balls. Paramus' team that year was mostly juniors, which meant we would see the same team basically our senior year at Ridgewood. Sure enough we prevailed, I think 28-7. Not a blowout but a substantial win. After the game we made our way to the Fireplace as did players from Paramus. I knew one player, Glenn Ax.  His cheerleader girlfriend was there and came over to me as I had my RWD jacket with the CAPT on it started giving me shit saying they were still better and he would be there and kick my ass. Of course my smart mouth said before he gets here to kick my ass how about I have a piece of your ***... She went off saying she would tell Glenn when he gets there and he would beat the shit out of me, but the Paramus players that were there jumped in with lots of finger pointing and threats. Some face to face stuff but before a brawl ensued we were told to get out. Nothing happened outside except the same bs yelling and threats, but nothing.  With that next stop was Burger King!"

No comments:

Post a Comment