Would you like to have a memory book to take home with you from this year's reunion in October?

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Another Mini Reunion - with Sweeney, Vanderbush & Gomez!

I gotta hand it to Wescott - if you ask him, "Hey I wonder where Coach Sweeney is?" or "How great would it be to see THIS guy!" - just ask and you shall receive! On Sat August 21, 2010 we had yet another mini reunion - and this one was fun! Like most of these things, the time goes way too fast.

Above, from l to r: Jim Ranton, John Wescott, Arne Olsen and Dave Burdick - watching the 2010 RHS varsity scrimmage at Brookside.

Head Coach Roger Sweeney, Coach Fern Gomez, Coach and former Athletic Director Dave Vanderbush, John Wescott, Jim Ranton, Arne Olsen, Dave Burdick and I met up at RHS - (yeah I know I wasn't a football player) but John was nice enough to include me and what a blast! I wish I knew these guys better when we attended RHS.

Above, l to r: Coach Fern Gomez, Head Coach Roger Sweeney and Dave Burdick watching the varsity scrimmage.

While we waited for Coach Sweeney, Dave Vanderbush gave us a great tour of the old school - you name it and he took us there! He had some great stories - endless stories - you would think the coaches and teachers had more fun than we did at RHS!

Above, part of the Vanderbush RHS tour! The locker room has not changed at all except for the doors on the lockers - amazing! Like stepping back in time!

Once we hooked up with Roger Sweeney we headed over to Brookside where the current JV and Varsity teams were practicing and scrimmaging. Current Varsity football coach Chuck Johnson - RHS Class of 1970 - knew we were coming over and almost as soon as Roger Sweeney turned the corner, the varsity guys came running over and in single file individually paid their respect to Sweeney. It was honestly a classy moment in the history of Ridgewood sports and despite having my camera I neglected to take a shot of it - honestly I can't believe I missed it!

Above, Coach Johnson and squad took time out to greet Roger Sweeney - very classy! L to r: Roger Sweeney and Chuck Johnson who played for Roger and graduated RHS Class of 1970 and followed in Sweeney's footsteps!

We watched some of the scrimmage and decided to head over to "The Office" for lunch in downtown Ridgewood on Chestnut Street. The laughs were many and the things these coaches remember are priceless.

Above, some "Maroons"! From l to r front row: Coach Fern Gomez, Dave Burdick, Head Coach Roger Sweeney, Arne Olsen and Bob Groat. L to r back row: Stacey Williams, John Wescott, Jim Ranton and Rick Flannery.

Right before I left to come down to Ridgewood from Connecticut, I almost took with me an orginal 1972-73 RHS Maroons football jersey I happen to own - I came to have it in December of 1972. The jersey is number 44. Right before we left to head back home, Bob "Beep" Groat and Stacey Williams popped in. Bob Groat who was RHS Class of 1974, was a member of this championship team too (as was Stacey) and his jersey number was 44! The jersey I happen to have was his! Small world. He looks great as does everyone who came - there is something wonderful about revisiting old haunts and going back to your roots but when you do it with guys like were there today, its special. Thanks for including me fellas! Can't wait for more!

Above, Bob Groat's original RHS football jersey - fell off a truck in December, 1972!

John Wescott - thanks for making it happen!

For any classmates reading this blog - you have just got to make sure you come to the BF reunion in 2011 (yes GW is welcome too!) and you better be at the big 40th in 2013 - it promises to be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment