Would you like to have a memory book to take home with you from this year's reunion in October?

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Reunions - Why Have 'Em and Who's Coming To This One!

On the day we graduated, the furthest thing from my mind was a reunion. A reunion to me was a distant thing and for older people or bands that had lost their popularity!


As did all of us, we had a life to live and plan. Personally, I had early designs of being a buyer for Brooks Brothers - I had spent 6 years in retail and fell in love with New York City before changing career paths in the late 70's. But one thing I never lost - even that final week of high school - was my affection for RHS and the Class of 1973 despite my rocky first year in 1970-71.

I remember thinking as I got my yearbook signed that last week, how all of us would be spreading our wings and heading in different directions. There were some that stayed in touch with each other - played cards with each other - got together during breaks from school - went to each other's weddings - but many of us did other things or moved away entirely.

For me the 20th RHS reunion (1993) was the only reunion I attended until I seemed to do a reunion every couple of years! (Glen School 2009, BF 2011, RHS 2013). The 20th was so much fun and very well run - and it was attended by a lot of us! It definitely brought me back to a great time in my life! I never thought reunions could be that much fun! I saw people I never thought I'd see again - though I never forgot them. There was some sadness too for those missing in our lives. Even walking across the parking lot at the Crossroads that year someone had yelled out "Rick Flannery!" What a great feeling it is to be remembered!

I loved living in and going to school in Ridgewood and every time I return - whether it be for a meeting or just to take photos, the thoughts of great times are always there - I don't get lost in it - I don't say "if only I could go back" but there's always something that makes me think "Yeah, that was so much fun!" or "I can't believe I did that!" or something - many things - that remind me of my mom and dad.

Going by Graydon Pool too always brings me back to the summer and ice skating - swim lessons, hanging out with friends, swimming that last morning the day after our graduation - which was the very last time I actually swam at Graydon - who knew that would be the last time?


Above Graydon Pool - my last day at Graydon was the morning after our graduation when we took the traditional dip before heading for more fun down the Jersey Shore.

So, I for one can't wait to see everybody at this year's 40th! There aren't too many names I don't recognize - almost every name sparks a memory of various classes, the cafeteria, study hall, the hallway rush between classes, smoking with whomever - trying to decide if I wanted to try pot with some of you!

When the first RHS directory was available, it was fun to look up all the familiar names. Appleton's where? Where's Kathy Stella? Luann's doing what? Whatever happened to Bob Klatte? Vuke's a doctor - cool!

Anyway, I love reunions because you get the chance to cross paths with all the people you grew up with - may not have been close with - but that doesn't really matter in this situation does it? It's not a really deep thing but it can be a helluva lot of fun!

Can't wait to see you guys - please try and come to the (long) cocktail party that Friday night if you're in town - you'll probably see some people that can't make the official reunion.  Hey Gil Miller is flying to the reunion from Germany this year!

Below is just a partial list of people that are coming! If you still haven't decided - you won't regret it I promise!


Look Who's Coming: (Don't get upset if your name's not on this partial list and I purposely use the maiden names to help people recognize you better - so no offense to spouses!)

Paul Attella
Dan Bradley
Craig Hopewell
Jeff Lockhart
Arne Olsen
Jim Ranton
John Rymer
Paul Thomas
Paul Vinroot
John Wescott
Scott Gutting Nick Lagos
Chris Bowe
Brian Alcock
Jim Appleton
Patty Baker
Margaret Bayer
Jane Bowman
Glen Campbell
Heather Campbell
Kevin Corley
Denise Costigan
Bob Davis
Teri Dickinson
Erica D'Elia
Pete Diestel
Wendy Douglas
Amy Ellis
Ellen Ely
Elaine Erickson
Margaret Finucane
Miriam Frey
Dave Hansen
Errol Haznedar
Lindsay Hess
Woody Hood
Cindy Hoogland
Leigh Hubler
Mary Humrich
Rob Kiernan
Bob Klatte
Katie Knight
Bill Lauerman
Sue Leahey
Cinday Leather
James Lizza
Steve MacKay
Carmen Manganelli
Colleen McCarthy
Gil Miller
Patti Murray
Gretchen Nienaber
Theresa Oggero
John Oshin
John Pierce
Leslie Pope
Cathy Ratcliffe
Greg Rodgers
Agnes Rymer
Paul Rypkema
Carol Schleicher
Tad Shepperd
Anita Simos
Luann Speechley
Brian Tobin
Patty Vanlenten
Penny Weir
Sue Yerger
Roy Zabriskie





No comments:

Post a Comment