Would you like to have a memory book to take home with you from this year's reunion in October?

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Lyons Stationery Store

Lyons - most of us remember this place. It was located on the corner of Ridgewood Avenue and S. Pleasant Avenue across from Somerville Elementary School. When I was little, Lyons would be the place I would buy candy and baseball cards on the way home from church on Sunday. It was a soda jerk / newspaper / candy store. There were always bikes parked outside.

Around the corner from Lyons was the infamous Dale's Market - Dale's had the old-fashioned push-screen door with the metal soda ad sign. It was a deli and semi grocery store - the way I remember Dale's is it looked like it was frozen in time - 1940's time - old wooden floors and dusty shelves. Still it was a familiar place.

By the time I got to RHS Lyons became one of the places I bought cigarettes - how we grow!

The new color photo below was taken by my daughter a couple of years ago. The classic b&w one of Lyons back in the day belongs to Dave Roberts and he graciously gave me permission to use it here - thanks Dave!

Above, Lyons as we loved it!


The building that was home to Lyons as it looked in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment