Would you like to have a memory book to take home with you from this year's reunion in October?

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sharon Muster Where Are You? and Other Favorite Teachers!

So I get to RHS - Sept 1970 - feeling as I always did with something new - intimidated! In a big school one moves in different ways - I was both nervous and psyched at the same time. Definitely up for it - hoping the food would be better than BF. Knowing we would finally meet up with everybody from GW. Many of those kids you already knew from baseball, church, scouts, etc. Despite my seemingly "wacky" outside appearance - army jacket, beads, etc - I loved being part of the RHS experience. Both friends and teachers would play a huge roll in my final public school years.

Enter Sharon Muster - Spanish teacher 10th grade. Sharon wasn't a hec of a lot older than us - she even at times seemed one of us - understanding and all the rest. Here was a teacher that was extraordinary to me. It didn't take long to realize that she cared about what she was doing - it wasn't a chore. She also cared about students who she thought also cared but struggled for various reasons. Sharon Muster followed my progress throughout high school - ended up watching me graduate on the football field on June 20, 1973 - and what a thrill it was that she was there. I must admit I had a bit of a crush on her!

Other teachers who were standouts for me at RHS were Judith Pinder (History), John McCutcheon (Asst Principal) and Robert Honsinger. These educators took a personal interest in my accomplishments (or lack there of!) and I appreciate it to this day! I was thrilled to find and hook up with Robert Honsinger on Facebook last year - I get a kick out of going back to 1973 in my mind and thinking how amazing it would be to walk into 1973-Honsinger's office and say "Hey, see you on Facebook in 40 years Mr. H!"

Mr. Mac - well he barked loud but what a caring educator! You'd want him for a friend, for a father, a brother - what an awesome man. Sadly Mr. Mac passed away years ago and Miss Pinder - well she must be around somewhere. Sharon Muster where are you? If anyone knows the whereabouts of "Miss" Pinder and Sharon Muster please advise!








Click on the photos to enlarge.

How cool would it be to have Honsinger, Muster and Pinder at the 40th reunion?

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed Sharon Muster's spanish class and even converted it into a Laurel and Hardy movie theatre when I brought in THE MUSIC BOX which was a treat. I also remember John McKeon, Nancy Builthuis and so many others. October, 2013 reunion would be a kick.

    ReplyDelete